Explora Journeys cancels shakedown cruise but says inaugural is on track

Explora Journeys has insisted its first ship’s inaugural cruise will go ahead as planned from Southampton next month despite cancelling a shakedown sailing for media.

Explora I is due to leave the UK on July 17 after sailing direct to the UK port from its shipyard in Italy.

The MSC Group’s luxury brand had previously pushed back the ship’s maiden voyage from Barcelona in May due to “global supply chain complications”.

The company has now confirmed that it will no longer be hosting a naming ceremony and shakedown press trip ahead of the maiden voyage.

A “first look” experience is being offered in Southampton on July 15-17 as an alternative to the naming ceremony and shakedown.

The delivery of Explora I will take place on July 6 at the Fincantieri shipyard at Monfalcone in Italy.

The ship will then sail directly to Southampton to begin its inaugural voyage as scheduled.

The line said: “Explora Journeys will no longer be hosting a naming ceremony and shakedown press trip ahead of the maiden voyage and instead, Explora I will make her way from the shipyard in Italy straight to Southampton before embarking on her maiden journey which will be unaffected by the change of plans and depart as planned on the 17th July.”

Related Articles

Star Clippers targets agents with window display competition

Dondra Ritzenthaler takes up role as Azamara Cruises chief executive

Emerald Cruises offers fam trip spots in latest incentive