Accor commits to eliminate single-use plastics by 2022

Accor has pledged to remove all single-use plastic items in guest experience from its hotels by the end of 2022. 

The hotel group, which welcomes over 120 million guests each year, hopes joining the UN Global Tourism Plastics Initiative will help to reduce environmental impacts and strengthen efforts to combat plastic pollution in the world’s oceans.

Its new initiatives include the removal of individual plastic toiletry amenities and cups, and the elimination of all remaining single-use plastic items in guestrooms, meeting areas, restaurants and leisure activities areas. 

Around 94% of Accor's 5000 hotels have already eliminated plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds and the remaining 6% will do so by the end of March 2020. 

“We are aware of the significant impact we have on our planet and our responsibility to crease tangible benefits for our employees, guests, suppliers, partners and host communities,” said chairman and chief executive Sebastien Bazin.

“What guides us is the consciousness and social awareness that drives every person who strives to be a good citizen. It’s about being aware, socially conscious and consistent.”  

Related Articles

Lux Resorts & Hotels to open flagship property in Mauritius

New hotel The Londoner to open in September

Accor recruits top hotelier to lead Raffles and Orient Express