Covid-19 forces Cunard to delay cruise return by four weeks

Cunard has delayed its UK restart date by four weeks after “a small number” of crew members tested positive for Covid-19.

The British line had planned to operate sailings on Queen Elizabeth on July 19 but will now resume cruises from Southampton on August 13.

Cunard president Simon Palethorpe said the Covid cases were identified on crew members who had joined the ship last month, adding that the line took “immediate steps” to “successfully contain the situation”.

New Covid cases on board has meant that Cunard is unable to complete final preparations or crew training onboard ahead of the original resumption date on July 19, Palethorpe added.

Queen Elizabeth is currently moored off the coast of Dorset.

Passengers affected by the line’s decision to push back its restart date will be offered either a refund or future cruise credit worth 110% of the monies paid.

Palethorpe said: “Cunard’s return to service will now be on August 13, 2021, in a revised schedule of UK coastal voyages.

“Since March 2020 the priority has been to work with public health, medical and scientific experts as well as industry bodies and various government departments to put in place an approved framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of our crew, guests and the communities we visit, both during our pause in operations and once we begin sailing.

“These protocols, of which we are very proud, have proven to be very effective and we had no cases of Covid-19 in over 5,000 crew members until last month when a small number of cases were identified amongst new crew boarding the ship.

“Working in conjunction with Southampton Port Health we took immediate steps to successfully contain the situation and we have limited the number of new crew joining the ship. This has meant, however, that we are not able to complete the final essential preparations or deliver the comprehensive training schedule to the full required contingent of crew prior to the first scheduled sailing.

“We know how much everyone has been looking forward to these coastal holidays but after such a long period it is critical that all our crew are trained in the new procedures and refreshed in the very special White Star service which makes a Cunard voyage so memorable.

“We apologise to those guests whose voyages have been disrupted with this four-week delay and we very much look forward to welcoming guests back on board from August 13 as Queen Elizabeth sails from Southampton on a seven night cruise showcasing the highlights of Britain’s coastline.”


Related Articles

Aurora Expeditions unveils climate expedition in 2023

Explora Journeys launches agent appointment service

International cruise ban to be lifted